Author: max1mag

  • Over 10,000 delegates now in Agusan del Sur for Palarong Pambansa

    More than 10,000 delegates from across the country, including thousands from the Visayas, have arrived in Agusan del Sur for the 2026 Palarong Pambansa as health authorities continue monitoring dozens of medical cases amid dangerous heat conditions.

    A situation report released Tuesday by the Department of Education’s Health, Safety, and Welfare Committee showed that 10,697 delegates had been recorded as of 6 a.m. on the same day.

    Among the largest contingents were Region X with 981 delegates, Region VI with 932, Region XII with 905, Region VII with 861, the Negros Island Region (NIR) with 803, Caraga with 793, and Region VIII with 649 delegates.

    The report also recorded 59 clinical encounters involving delegates and participants since the start of the national sporting event. Of the total, 10 cases remain active while 44 have already been resolved.

    Medical teams are also monitoring five active referrals requiring further medical attention.

  • ‘Libreng Sakay,’ tourism perks await Agusan Palarong Pambansa athletes

    Delegates of the 66th Palarong Pambansa are set to benefit from free transportation and tourism activities as the provincial government of Agusan del Sur rolls out its “Libreng Sakay” program.Education Secretary Sonny Angara acknowledged Agusan del Sur Gov. Santiago Cane Jr. and provincial officials for providing transport and tour arrangements for thousands of athletes, coaches, teachers, and spectators attending the national event from May 24 to 31. 

    In a statement on Tuesday, Angara said the program gives student-athletes opportunities to experience local culture and interact with host communities while participating in the games.

    “It is uplifting that this Palaro also gives our youth a chance to experience the compassion, culture, and beauty found in different parts of the country,” said Angara.

    “Through Agusan del Sur’s free rides and free tours, the experience of our athletes and delegates becomes easier, more enjoyable, and more meaningful,” Angara added.

    Under the initiative, free transportation will be provided through designated e-buses and tricycles stationed across 36 competition venues in Bayugan City and the municipalities of Bunawan, Esperanza, Talacogon, Prosperidad, and San Francisco.

  • Evidence shows no attack against Senate – DILG

    “All evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate.”

    This was what Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla said on Tuesday, six days after a “gun-related incident” shook the Senate.

    During a Palace briefing, Remulla maintained that no agents from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) set foot at the Senate on May 13, and that they were only at the premises of the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), beside the legislative chamber.

    “For the record, all evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate. I would like to repeat – all evidence points that there was no attack on the Senate,” he declared.

    The Senate building sits adjacent to the GSIS building, both of which are inside the GSIS complex.

    Remulla explained that GSIS President and General Manager Wick Veloso sought help of the NBI to “fortify” the security at the GSIS premises after Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa asked his supporters to stage a prayer vigil at the Senate.

  • Padilla: Suspended Senate sergeant-at-arms saved lives

    Recently suspended Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Ma.O Aplasca’s actions during a shooting incident at the Senate “saved lives,” Sen. Robin Padilla remarked on Tuesday.

    In a social media post, Padilla asserted that Aplasca’s warning shot to the National Bureau of Investigation agents and vice versa “calmed the situation” at the Senate.

    “The only truth I know is that this person saved the lives of those inside and outside the Senate,” Padilla said in Filipino.

    He continued: “His warning shot and the NBI’s warning shot helped calm the situation and proved that they were both friendly forces, but their superiors fell short in proper coordination and communication.”

    Padilla also commended that both Aplasca and the NBI did not “ride the combat high,” saying this is what led to the peaceful end of the gunfire.

    Prior to Padilla’s statement, Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla criticized the actions taken by Aplasca prior to firing the warning shot.

    Remulla pointed out that Aplasca failed to secure the area before and after the incident, thereby risking the lives of those within the Senate premises when shots were fired.

  • Woman who physically assaulted a child arrested in Taguig

    A woman in Taguig City was charged with child abuse after she was recorded assaulting a three-year old boy, said the Southern Police District (SPD) on Wednesday.

    According to the SPD, the woman, identified only by her alias Carla, 28, was arrested for the violation of Republic Act 7610 or the “Special Protection of Children Against Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination Act.”

    Her arrest stemmed from an incident that went viral online in Barangay Western Bicutan, Taguig City where she was recorded assaulting the boy after an argument with the child’s mother.

    “Several concerned residents intervened during the altercation, but the suspect allegedly redirected her anger toward the minor victim and repeatedly struck the child, causing physical injuries,” the SPD said.

    The SPD then said the suspect is now under police custody while charges for violation of RA 7610 are being prepared for inquest proceedings before the City Prosecutor’s Office of Taguig City.